Sunday, August 23, 2015

Coping With Life Through Humor

The saying goes that tragedy + life = comedy. In 2013, life dealt me several low blows. So many other people I knew, I too went through enclave of economic hardships heightened by a series of losses. It had been years of struggle with legal issues; trying to save a home, familial disputes, employment disputes, legal counsel hearings, and divorce. At times, the world appears to have little sympathy in the hardship and loss of others.

After surviving through 2012 and not quote one month into 2013, the next difficult crisis on my plate was the death of my father and an untimely job termination; which circumvented taking time off with pay protected under FMLA. .

The emotional and financial tolls were overwhelming. It took another year for me to remove myself from states of anger and feeling vengeful. Insomnia was frequent; I suffered from mental and spiritual exhaustion. Nightmares about the employer were often occurrences which continued two years after leaving. Soon, I realized that I had been suffering from post-traumatic stress syndrome from the trauma that loomed in my subconscious and haunted my sleep. For the eight years I worked I had not been in great health and it needed some improving. I knew that I could not continue in this state. It was time for me to find my voice; my true self and get back to being myself. In the past eight years of work, marriage, the debt, and in the life struggles I lost myself and needed to find my voice again.

My ah-hah moment occurred one morning after waking up from a nightmare that led me to log my dreams in a journal. The words began with sarcasm soon turned into humor and pursing comedy struck me. Why not? My choice was between comedy and the psychiatrist's couch. Been there and done that. The psychiatric couch may be satisfactory for others, but was not an alternative for me. The only alternative after you’ve reach middle-age sometimes is to rediscover yourself and take yourself outside of the comfort zones you've come accustomed. Too often we think we are limited specific designs of comfort, but easy to slip into mediocrity and that does not always bring happiness

The time arrived for to re-invent myself and push the envelope and step out of the comfort zone; and humor was my answer for sanity; which prompted me to launch the H3(Cubed) project: Humor, Health and Happiness. I invite you to come along this journey. Get some laughs, and share a few experiences, thoughts or comments. Join me for a slice of humor pie with H Cubed - for Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment